A Year of Pretty - February 21, 2014

Tomorrow night is the first of two shows I am presenting with a Great Gatsby theme. Both shows will be for charity, and I am looking forward to both as a way to not only highlight my designs, but as an opportunity to learn what works and what doesn't work during a live show. When I presented my graduation collection, I wasn't able to be backstage, so I had no say in how the models were dressed. This time I will have that chance and as such, will be able to style the ladies as I wish.

I am lucky to have a fairly good collection of costume jewellery from which I can select pieces that will compliment each look. I also have a number of shoes in different sizes that will work for the looks for these shows. Every year in early September when wedding season is over, shoe stores start offering amazing deals on all their strappy, sparkly summer heels. Last year I picked up six pairs of the same shoe in gold and silver in a variety of sizes from 8.5 to 10 for 50% off the last ticketed price - $15.00 each pair. It may seem strange to spend money on shoes that don't even fit me (I'm a size 8.5), but it ensures that I have shoes that I know will work for the models; not only for this show, but for for other shows in the future. Choosing shoes with classic profiles and in neutral tones (silver, gold, beige and black) means that the shoes are pretty much going to go with any look.

I adore the look of these shoes here. I like the attention to detail, and how the art deco feel is continued on through the punch work of the pale pink instep. Having not one but two adjustable straps is also handy. Unfortunately these will not be my show, but they embody the feel of the 1920's art deco period, if higher heels had been in fashion at that time. Most heel heights were only between 1.5 and 2.5 inches during the 1920's, whereas today's average height for runway starts at 4.5 inches.

So enjoy these darling shoes and I will be back tomorrow with a review of the show. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment